Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

After the wonderful success of making my own laundry soap I attempted to make my own dishwasher detergent as well and I found a recipe I liked from The Eco Friendly Family blog and so I gave it a shot. I really like it so far, I have done 3 cycles with the recipe and I use the white vinegar as the rinsing agent (this goes where Jet Dry usually goes). I have noticed some of my dishwasher safe plastics don't get as clean so I have been hand washing those, but everything else is so clean and no filmy residue, my glasses are clearer than they were with my store bought detergent and I live where the water is very hard.

Ingredients:
-White Vinegar as a Rinsing Agent
-1 1/2 cups Lemi-Shine (I know both Target & Wal-Mart carried this, you can find it next to the other detergent supplies.)
-1 1/2 cups Washing Soda (Wal-Mart carries this, but not Target) located with laundry detergents
-1/2 cup Baking Soda (Baking Aisle)
Directions: Mix all the dry ingredients together and your done!! I just mixed them in my storage dispenser I purchased.
*This recipe only makes a small amount, but its a perfect amount to try and if you like it you can double or triple it! Also, the Lemi-Shine makes it become hard and you have to shake the box to break it up, but I haven't had any major problems.
Cost Breakdown:
1 Lemi-Shine- $3.66
1 Large Box of Baking Soda-$2.12
1 Box of Super Washing Soda-$3.24
1 Container of Sea Salt (Also comes in box form)-I bought this awhile ago for kitchen purpose so I don't remember how much I paid, but I don't think more than a couple of dollars.
1 Storage Dispenser-$3.47 (I could only find this style at Wal-Mart) I liked that it would be easy to pour , Ikea has some but I use those for food and I don't want to mistake (even though labeled) the container of detergent for food, even though under sink that has a door lock on it (never can be too safe with kids in the house).

-For this recipe only cup measurements are used so I'm not totally sure of the complete cost breakdown since I purchased boxes of each ingredient (except for Lemi-Shine), but its not very much at all and you only use 1-2 Tablespoons per cycle. Hope you like it!!





No comments:

Post a Comment